About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Canada
Dr. Charles Lam has since 1971 received training in West Germany (telecom) and university education in U.K. (management) and acquired working experiences in Hong Kong and Canada, in a utility company, Hong Kong Government, a multinational organization and a SME. In his career path, he has acquired qualifications from UK institutions including DBA (1990), MBA (1980) and Chartered Engineer (1978). Since 1986, he has left pure engineering to teaching various subjects of business management in Hong Kong for famous universities of Hong Kong, England and United States. He also has served the society as a member of an advisory committee of the Hong Kong Government for eight years, and as the Hon. Chairman of its Consumer Education Group. Later, he set up his own company to offer services as a consultant, writer and speaker. In his 'Second Half Time', he has been working passionately on integrating Christian values with management knowledge, in the marketplace/workplace ministry, serving hospitals, churches and organizations, as a speaker, consultant, life coach, and the leader of a REST Group based on a life story approach. Charles is currently living with his wife in Canada.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Charles writing his life story, RESTly (8)


My third big life transition—immigrating to Canada--took place in 1983. I arrived at Canada with a 'single' status, where no job offers nor relatives were awaiting me. Thinking that after spending three years of rest and freedom, I could return to Hong Kong again, I chose to land at my favorite city, Vancouver.

After landing, I started almost immediately to look for jobs relevant to my background. Many failures later, I gradually reduced my aspiration, and rather unwillingly, started something brand new-- being a life insurance agent. For 9 months I had lived in this city with frustration and loneliness feeling defeated, lost and aimless. But then, I met God again—some Christians came to make friends with me and soon I joined their church life. There, I found new love, peace and joy.

Good luck came. Through a Christian brother’s introduction, I got a job offer from a company located in Ottawa that required both my technical and management backgrounds. The job offer was a good one considering my situation then, which also included transporting my belongings and car; the pay was good enough for me to start a house mortgage in Ottawa. At that time, I thought, "I can feel sunshine again!"

No comments: