About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Canada
Dr. Charles Lam has since 1971 received training in West Germany (telecom) and university education in U.K. (management) and acquired working experiences in Hong Kong and Canada, in a utility company, Hong Kong Government, a multinational organization and a SME. In his career path, he has acquired qualifications from UK institutions including DBA (1990), MBA (1980) and Chartered Engineer (1978). Since 1986, he has left pure engineering to teaching various subjects of business management in Hong Kong for famous universities of Hong Kong, England and United States. He also has served the society as a member of an advisory committee of the Hong Kong Government for eight years, and as the Hon. Chairman of its Consumer Education Group. Later, he set up his own company to offer services as a consultant, writer and speaker. In his 'Second Half Time', he has been working passionately on integrating Christian values with management knowledge, in the marketplace/workplace ministry, serving hospitals, churches and organizations, as a speaker, consultant, life coach, and the leader of a REST Group based on a life story approach. Charles is currently living with his wife in Canada.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Charles writing his life story, RESTly (7)

After MBA graduation in Year 1980, I returned to HKTel with high career hopes. Unfortunately, all hopes were quenched. For a few months after my return, I stayed at the same engineering position as before I took study leave. I also learnt later that my memo applying for transfers to marketing or administration positions was secretly kept by my boss.

Then I looked for opportunities outside the company. Quite quickly, I got two offers--from a multinational telecom. company and the Hong Kong Government (Telecom Section of the Post Office). I had worked for the former for a few months during the long recruitment process of the Government. The Government job was a satisfying one—high pay with good opportunity to serve the general public, and job nature matched with my management and technical backgrounds.

However, I had to face crossroads again! The application for immigration to Canada was granted at a time when I was enjoying my government job! The application was made a year earlier during my frustration times at HKTel and a climate of uncertainties in Hong Kong. After going through a lot of dilemmas and thoughts, I finally decided, without being helped by mentors, to leave Hong Kong for Canada to face new challenges.

No comments: